The Society was formed in January 1995 to promote interest in the local history of Buntingford and the surrounding area and in particular the old railway line called ‘The Buntingford Branch’ but known affectionately as ‘The Bunt’ to those people who worked on the line. The railway maintained an important link for the business and community needs for 101 years, from its opening in July 1863, to its closure in Nov 1964. From Buntingford the railway served the people of Westmill, Braughing, Standon, the Hadhams, Widford and Wareside (the station was known as Mardock) before terminating at St Margarets station where it joined the Hertford East Branch. At St. Margarets connections were made to London Liverpool Street,and Hertford East. There were peak time through trains into Liverpool Street, the Buntingford train being attached to the rear of the Hertford service.